Saturday, January 8, 2011

Is it ethically irresponsible to request a song from a DJ?

So it goes a little bit something like this...

You've just started your set, or maybe it has been a while, and the party is booming. You know exactly what’s the next track going to be, and you know where you are going to take the crowd. It happens exactly then. You see this dude/girl, glassy eyed, trying to establish eye contact, approaching slowly enough so you’ll notice.

It’s either:
“I am really sorry, I know it’s annoying, but…”
Or,
“Say, do you have…”


I’ve always asked myself what brings a person to ask for a song. Can the institution which is the disc-jockey (aka DJ) really be summed up to a “Request Hotline”? I did some research, and you people are going to be the ones to decide.


The DJ’s side:

Being a DJ is about having a great taste in music, about understanding music in a very unique way. This colorful approach enables you to create a style, to blend some character to the music you select and collect, to provide your crowd with the latest and hippest sounds. It’s about being able to surprise, to rejuvenate, while creating an organic set framed as a story.
After establishing this it takes time to be able to communicate with your crowd, read their minds, their movements. Know "when and where", how to build up the vibe, have a beginning middle and end. Building up a party is hard, especially if you have four hours of demanded fun you have to fill, and a crowd that rightfully expects to be fully entertained all along the way. So you work with crowds for some time, improve your skills, find out when to drop your bangers and when you take the crowd on a deep ride of reminiscence in 80’s New-wave, or 90’s Dance.
On top of that you add your technique, your style. Beat matching (that means playing songs that have the same tempo), Key matching (playing songs that harmonize), Mashing, Sampling, Looping, Breaking, etc. That’s where the big boys really show their skill. Going to a 2manyDJ’s gig is more than a musical orgasm, it’s a show, it’s a performance.
When I come to play at a venue I try to combine these elements together. I give it a lot of thought, I spend a lot of time at home constructing this experience I want you people to feel – because I felt it, and it feels good!


The other side:

Well, I actually took the time and asked people that approached me the exact same question I’m asking you. Some people were sincere, some were really surprised, this is the gist of things (all the names are fake of course!). I know it’s shorter, but I hope it is as sincere.
[No Gaga fans were hurt making this survey]

Avi (The romantic): I heard your set, and this song just popped into my mind. I love this song, I’ve played it like a million times on my stereo, I know people love it in general, and I’m sure people will love it if you play it right now.

Bar (The birthday girl): It’s my birthday. This thing happens once every year. You’ve got the chance to make me happy. I love this song, think of this as my birthday gift.

Gadi (The self-centered): The DJ’s job is to make sure I’m having fun.

Dana (The innocent): At my school dance the DJ played all the songs I asked for. I thought it’s just something you people do.

Hila (The temptress): Because I’m very cute, and you like me.

[All of the people above got their request played eventually... I think...]


So I’m still puzzled. While I do understand and sympathize with song requesters (at least some of them) I still can’t say I’m totally apposing or supporting.

People, how do you feel about this?

5 comments:

  1. It depends if the DJ is democratic or monarchic. A democratic DJ will listen to the people, atlease to some extenet. I don't think he has to put the song IMMEDIATELY when he requested to do so, but he should, being a civil servent as he his, to "listen to the people", and find time to play the requests during the 4 hour session.
    A monarchic DJ, wants to control the crowd for his own benefit. Of-course he will not listen to the people, he wants to control the people. Now, almost no modern man will deem himself a tyran, so the new-term on the block is what law-people call: "paternalism": I don't want to control you for my benefit, I'm doing this for your benefit. You don't really want to hear that song, you just think you do, because you're young, innocent, and unexperienced. You need to listen to me, for your own good and enjoyment.

    I'll vote for the democratic DJ anytime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started DJing I had occassional problems with these scenarios. As I was paid for my service, which was to deliver entertainment, I felt too responsible for that specific person's pleasure. After a while, when I realized it sometimes created havoc (and awful transitions in my set) I understood I can't be just a music delivery guy, and have to be responsible for my set, as a wrong request could really tamper my set.
    So I learned to compromise with them. I never waive off a guest at a party/bar, as it's rude and might damage my communication with the crowd. When the request is acceptable, I tell the guest no problem (sometimes I add that it might be different song by the same artist, or that it might take a while 'til I play it). I think such communication can only icrease amusement by the set, and help the guest feeling a part.

    However, it's important to state - some guests can never appreciate any compromising, and are too spoiled to realize they're not the only ones around. If someone's rude (like Gadi from the example above), your set should not be the victim. If someone's asking for oldies in the middle of an electronic set and cannot comprehend with the fact he might only get the song he asked for later on... his problem. All bar owners I consulted on such dilemmas told me I'm doinng my work just fine and not be affected by such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, the DJ's eternal dilemma. Is he/she an artist or an entertainer? I guess in the end it all comes down to how high and mighty your DJ booth is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a funny one... totally dig the dillema
    check out this scenario
    playing my tunes at a party, a guy comes up to me and offers me 100$ to change genre, now isnt that insulting!... or funny depends how u take it. The main problem i have is with people that get the feeling the can demand whatever they want, and you as the music bitch will give them what he/she want (fits the self-centered character), these guys just dont dig where the dj comes from... the funny thing is that these guys tend
    to visit the booth and give their "professional advice" while the dancefloor is on FIRE! and their so sure they know whats the next thing that'll blow the crowd...
    SOULPOWA
    Omri Bush Beats

    ReplyDelete